Header

Navigation Bar

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Classroom Prep: DIY Teacher's Toolbox (And Students' Supply Station)

With a job offer in sight, I got anxious and needed to buy something for my classroom. It took me a while to pick the perfect "first teacher item" but finally, I came to the conclusion that this was it...the teacher's toolbox. I'm sure you've seen this project or others similar floating around Pinterest. I grabbed a second organizer in a different size for my students' classroom bank and supply store/station that will go with my anticipated behavior management system.

What You Will Need:
How to Make Your Toolbox:
  1. Take your drawers out of your organizers and set them aside. 
    Drawers removed and ready for paint.
  2. Lay your organizer frame on newspaper or in a box and spray the structure evenly. Let that dry and apply a second coat or three.
  3. Between coats or at the end, make and/or print your labels.
  4. Cut your labels out and attach them to the inside of the front drawer windows. I attached them with tiny Elmer's Glue Dots.
    I designed these with my Silhouette to match my classroom theme.
    I used a dot runner the first time around but had to go back the next morning with glue dots that are a lot stronger.
  5. After your organizer frame is completely dry, slide your drawers back in and fill with all your supplies!
    Complete and ready for drawer filling!
I'm really loving how this project turned out and how my homemade label really tie into the theme I have planned for my classroom. I still have a few bins to label but I ran out of ideas for what to put in them so please, feel free to share your ideas! I'm ready to go shopping to buy the stuff to put in them now!
Here are some other Pinterest projects I plan to tackle this summer in preparation for my classroom. I love getting a head start of things like this so that when it's time for the real work, I won't have to stress about little projects that I wish I had time to fit in. I have a week left of college classes then I'm going to knock these out! I can't wait to get started!



How do you keep/plan to keep your classroom organized? What do you plan DIY this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment