Header

Navigation Bar

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Book Study: Mindsets in the Classroom - Chapter 3

I'm back to link of Chapter 3 of Mindsets in the Classroom for Hello Sunshine Teachers' book study.


I was a little fearful after our hectic weekend that I would get behind on this book study. Though hectic, many blessings came from it. We finally listed our house for sale on Friday and had 3 showings on Sunday. By Sunday night, we had a nearly full price offer. I didn't expect things to move so fast. So yeah, I fully expected to put my book on the back burner. But come to find out, late night and early morning reading has become my thing since late night and early morning planning aren't in session.

So on to my thoughts about Chapter 3.


I was happy to see a bit about small groups in this chapter. This was one of the scariest and hardest things I had to deal with this past year. I was constantly discouraged and never felt like I had a good enough system to benefit my students in our small groups. I hope to take the notes I made from this chapter and use it to plan my groups even better this next year. Though I am a little fearful as to how I will manage 3 instructional groups with 26 students. Ek! 

Please share ANY and ALL tips you have for small groups!

4 comments:

  1. I loved the talk about small groups in this chapter too! I think that as long as we set up clear expectations from our students we should be able to do this! I was a little timid with doing this last year as well, since I had 27 students in my math class, and 16 of them were boys! My boys were high energy too! I was still able to do some small group work, but not as much as I wanted. I loved the idea of anchor activities too, and that might help!! Thanks for linking up with us!

    Mrs. 3rd Grade 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH! That sounds like the class I have coming up. So overwhelmingly scary just to think about! Thanks for the advise! I think I was good with clear expectations, the first time...but when it came to weeks later, they needed a refresher and I failed to do that...which is the cause to my frustration and the lack of group work success.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on selling your house, that is so exciting! I agree with Mrs. 3rd Grade, clear expectations from the start are key. Also, practicing procedures for small groups and building their stamina. I usually start at the beginning of the year by practicing working in small groups for 5 minutes. After the time is up, we meet back together whole group and discuss what they did well and what they can improve on. Then we practice again. Each day, we add time until they are working in small groups independently for the desired amount of time! Doing it this way takes some time, but it is time that is well invested. If you start slowly and make your expectations clear and make them practice it perfectly it will help them run smoothly for the rest of the year!
    The Blessed Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the practicing in small bits of time idea! I'm so overbearing about things like this...I expect it to work immediately. I've have to tap into my growth mindset and exhibit effort, practice, and patience with groups this next year! Thank you again for the advice!

      Delete